How to set missing assignments to a 0:
- Open the Canvas course.
- Select Grades in the left-hand course menu.
- Select the wheel or gear icon in the upper, right-hand corner of the grade center. The Late Policies tab will now appear.
- Select automatically apply grade for missing submissions.
- Enter 0% for the Missing Submission Grade.
- Canvas will now insert a 0 into any missing assignment cells after the due date has passed; however, students can still submit/resubmit if the assignment is still available.
Why should I set this?
Every cell in the Canvas grade center should have a number or value. If you have a cell that does not contain a grade, Canvas is not counting that assignment toward the final grade in your total column.
*If you set the late policy at the end of the semester or after the submission, you will need to manually enter a ‘0’ in that column.