Lock modules until a certain date
In Canvas, you can set modules to be locked until a specific date. This assists you in managing the course content by automating student access to content in your course. With a date-restricted module, students are able to see the module titles and titles of items within the modules; however, students are unable to access the module items until the lock date has passed. To set lock dates on modules, use the steps outlined below:
- Log in to the Canvas course site where you want to establish date restrictions for the modules.
- Select Modules from the left-hand course navigation menu.
- Identify the module you wish to lock and ensure the module and the content within the module is published; published items have a green circle with a white check mark indicated on the right side of the page. If you do not publish the content prior to setting the date lock, students will not be able to see content even after the lock date has passed.
- Choose the three vertical dots located at the right-hand side of the module’s title.
- Select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- Tick the box next to Lock until.
- Choose the date and time you want the module to unlock for students by clicking on the calendar icon.
- Select the blue Update Module button.
Once the lock date is updated on the module, instructors see a message at the bottom of the module indicating when the module will unlock. In the example image below, the message reads “Will unlock Sep 30 at 12am.”
From the students’ perspectives, they will be able to see the title of the module along with the titles of the various content within the module; the same message indicating when the module unlocks is displayed for students at the bottom of the module (Image 1 below). If a student selects any content within the module, the student sees a message indicating the item will unlock at the date/time specified by the instructor (Image 2 below).